Who Can Be Considered for Bariatric Surgery?
If you are struggling with your weight you may be wondering ‘Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?’ To determine whether weight loss surgery is appropriate for you, the following criteria should be considered:
- You are an adult (at least 18 years old).
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 35-39.9 with one or more obesity-related health conditions. Click here to calculate your BMI.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have yielded only short-term success.
- You are not suffering from any other disease that could have caused you to be overweight.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle, and to continue being monitored by the specialist treating you.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
In order to be considered for weight loss surgery, you will have to meet the above requirements. If you weigh slightly less, you still may be considered if you are suffering from health problems. The surgeon treating you may have additional criteria.
Making a Commitment to Weight Loss
Your motivation and commitment to adopt a new lifestyle is extremely important for your successful, long-term weight loss. You must be determined to adhere to new eating habits for the rest of your life.
Exercise is an equally important component of your changed lifestyle. Adequate exercise will not only help you in your battle against excess weight, but it will also benefit your general health and well-being.
Equally important in our components process is what we consider our three-legged stool process. This includes:
- The right surgeon
- The ability to understand the psychological components of eating
- The need to exercise at least 3 times a week for about 30 minutes
Ready to take the next step? Register for a Free Weight Loss Surgery Seminar
It is necessary to attend one of our free educational seminars to help you determine if weight loss surgery is right for you. The interactive session with the surgeon and members of the bariatric team includes discussion about the program, also questions and answers regarding care and the insurance process. To reserve your spot call (479) 709-DOCS, or register online through the link, below. Space is limited.